A report was released this week showing the Cost per Illegal Alien Students in Virginia. Virginia will have approximately 2800 new undocumented students. This cost will be around 54 Million dollars. The cost here in Virginia is the highest per-capita and the Feds only reimburse about 10%. The rest will fall on Virginia taxpayers shoulders.
The numbers break down to nearly $20,000 per student as opposed to $11,000 per student the state averages overall. The reason it is that high is because it cost more to teach students that do not speak english.
Gov. Terry McAuliffe said this when asked on radio how he will handle undocumented children in regard to jobs and schools: “Immigration is a federal issue and, we don’t have an issue in Virginia.”
Talk about a head in the sand mentality. Clearly if the Government only reimburses 10% that leaves 90% of the cost on the Virginia Taxpayer. Im going to go out on a limb and say the majority of those taxpayers don’t support illegal immigration.
The 37,000 unaccompanied children placed by the Department of Homeland Security and Health and Human Services around the country will cost the nation’s taxpayers up to $761 million for the 2014-15 school year, FAIR (Federation for American Immigration Reform) says.